Discounts, Freebies & Other Goodies!

* indicates required

reverse applique dinosaur shirt

Monday, February 01, 2010
I love to do applique.
Not really sure if I do it right.
But I'm no perfectionist so I don't really care.
I also have been wanting to try reverse applique
for a long time and finally got around to it.

Micah had these super cute dinosaur footie pj's
with a broken zipper from MONTHS ago.
Rather than throw them away I figured I could use the material for something else.I found this long sleeve green shirt at W*****t
and figured I could try my hand at reverse applique.

Many months later I finally got around to it.
Here's the basics on how I did it.

I drew a dinosaur pattern on paper that loosely reflected
one of the dinosaurs on the pj's.
I then traced that onto the shirt.
Then pinned the fabric to the inside of the shirt.
Then I just sewed around the line with my machine...And carefully separated the top fabric from the pj fabric
and cut it away with a sharp scissors.

Done and done.I have NO idea how this will hold up in the wash.
But I figured $3 for a CUTE shirt isn't a big deal
so if it falls apart I'll know to sew around the line twice next time.Here's the shirt on the handsome little boy!
Of course since Micah got to pose, Naomi wanted to also!I also made a couple of tie shirts with the pj material!Have you done any reverse applique? any ideas or tips for me?

The Girl Creative
Making
giveaways
Elisa said...

I've seen that done before - it's super cute! :) The tutorial I read didn't mention sewing twice. I think the knit should hold up fine without raveling.

Infarrantly Creative said...

I am in love with that. Perfect it is so cute. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for blinging out your blog with my button...makes me blush ;-)

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

I am in love with your shirts, especially the dinosaur one. I've got a MckLinky party called Tot Tuesdays. I hope you will stop by & share some of your great ideas for tots:

http://delicious-ambiguity-nennyk.blogspot.com/2010/03/tot-tuesdays-2.html

Tara said...

Love the look of the reverse applique. I have to try this. Cute dinosaurs too! And Caidee has the same cute little dress as Naomi. LOL

On My Instagram